ANTICIPATION: There are many great films coming out in 2017; here are five of them that everyone should look forward to.
By Danijel Bilaver, Staff Writer
- Spider-Man: Homecoming– Everybody’s favorite superhero, Spider-Man, swings back into theaters this summer on July 7. After a marvelous introduction in last year’s Captain America: Civil War, Tom Holland plays the new Spider-Man. If the first trailer is an indication for anything, Spider-Man: Homecoming is going to be one fantastic superhero movie. It was filled with charm, humor, joy and superb action. Spider-Man is one of the best superheroes, and this film will do his character justice. It is one you should count on seeing this year.
- Star Wars: Episode VIII- The Last Jedi– Star Wars hits theaters once again for the third year in a row. Last year’s Rogue One was universally adored, but it was a prequel rather than a continuation of a story. Star Wars: Episode VIII- The Last Jedi continues the new trilogy of Star Wars films and follows Rey, Finn and many other characters right where they left off in Episode VII. People should be enthusiastic to watch the film because Star Wars is one of the all time greatest film series. Episode VII was also a great way to kick off the new Star Wars films, and hopefully, Episode VIII will continue that greatness. Much like the galaxy it is set in, the release date is far far away on December 17, but it will be here faster than the Millennium Falcon going into lightspeed.
- Logan- Hugh Jackman’s final role as the iconic Wolverine is finally here in the film Logan and will be in theaters on March 3. The film follows its main protagonist Logan, or Wolverine, played by Hugh Jackman in the near future with the ill Professor Xavier. This film looks absolutely phenomenal; the trailer was emotionally resonant, unique and different compared to other superhero films. Jackman plays Wolverine perfectly, and this film will be a satisfying conclusion to his role after seventeen years. Another very exciting aspect of the movie is that it is R-rated, meaning it is likely Wolverine is not going to hold back in terms of violence.
- War for the Planet of the Apes- The third film in the Planet of the Apes reboot hits theaters on July 17, and it looks brilliant. Both Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes were excellent movies with top-notch direction, and they portrayed the war between apes and humans perfectly. Now, audiences will finally see the war itself. The first trailer was fantastic, since it revealed the struggle of the war from both the apes’ and humans’ perspectives. War for the Planet of the Apes looks like an intense, well-done epic movie, one audiences should look forward to.
- Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2- Guardians of the Galaxy was a fresh and different superhero film with great characters, charming humor, an excellent soundtrack and amazing action. Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 looks like the filmmakers are enhancing various aspects of the first movie, and audiences will be able to experience that in the second film. The trailer was hilarious and eye-catching; audiences loved seeing those admirable characters in the first movie, and they will be able to see them again on May 5.